Jul 01, 2019
Summer Safety Tips!
Have FUN around downtown and be safe!
Spending time in the Sun?
Don’t forget to wear your sun screen! Even if you tan naturally, the American Cancer Society recommends a broad spectrum sun screen of an SPF 30 or higher. Reapply at least every 2 hours and remember, sun screens may be “water resistant” but none are “water proof.” You should reapply after swimming and excessive sweating as well.
Don’t forget your eyes! Wear sunglasses that block at least 99% of UV light!
Going out for the night?
Summertime means more people out and about which makes nightlife more lively, especially downtown on W. 6th! Remember to always use the buddy system, never walk to your car or another venue alone. Also, be aware of your surroundings, keep your phone in your pocket while walking from place to place, and keep your wallet in your front pocket to avoid opportunity theft.
And I know you’ve heard this one before, but NEVER leave your drink unattended!
Going for a swim in Lake Erie?
The Cleveland Police Foundation have these safety tips to keep in mind!
1. Don’t go in the water unless you know how to swim; swimming lessons are available for all ages.
2. Never swim alone.
3. Learn CPR and rescue techniques.
4. Make sure the body of water matches your skill level; swimming in a pool is much different that swimming in a lake or river, where more strength is needed to handle currents.
5. If you do get caught in a current, don’t try to fight it; stay calm and float with it, or swim parallel to the shore until you can swim free.
6. Don’t push or jump on others.
7. Don’t dive in unfamiliar areas.
8. Never drink alcohol when swimming; alcohol is involved in about half of all male teen drownings.